Ownership of the HB Ranch was transferred to the Kansas State University Foundation in 1994 by the estate of Caroline Hearting Beason and Mace Virgil Beason. The donor's stipulated that this gift be held together and operated as a working ranch and that the name "HB" be perpetuated. The origin and significance of the name derives from the first letters of Caroline's maiden name, Hearting, and the name, Beason.
Kansas State University and the Agricultural Research Centers-Hays are grateful for this generous gift and the opportunity to use it for forage-based livestock production systems research and education in memory of Caroline and Mace Beason.
Facilities / Land Resources
This ranch consists of approximately 1,760 acres located in southeast Trego County adjacent to the Trego-Ness County line on highway 147. The land is partitioned into cropland ( 579 acres) and native rangeland (1149 acres). The research facilities at the HB Ranch consists of 2 buildings and land that is used for native range-complementary forage research.
|<1> B-R-W=Buildings, Roads, Waterways|
The HB Ranch is located in southeast Trego County adjacent to the Trego-Ness County line on highway 147.