Vipan Kumar, Assistant Professor of Weed Science
Upcoming Field Day
2019 Weed Management Field Day
May 29, 2019
The Weed Management Field Day will be held Tuesday, July 2, 2019. The field day will be held at the KSU Agricultural Research Center – Hays. The event will begin at 8:00 a.m. (CST), with a free lunch being provided around noon. The event is free to the public, however online registration is required. Please register using our online form.
In the News
Weed Management Field Day - Press Release
Jun 11, 2019
HAYS, Kan. – The K-State Research and Extension Agricultural Research Center in Hays will host its annual weed management field day on Tuesday, July 2. The event will include discussions and demonstrations related to weed control in corn, soybeans, grain sorghum and sunflower. It will run from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Vipan Kumar, a weed scientist at the research center, said the field day includes demonstrations of herbicide tools for weed control in corn, and an herbicide drift simulation on soybeans.
K-State Researcher Confirm Palmer Amaranth Resistance to 2,4-D
Friday, March 8, 2019
Vipan Kumar, a weed scientist at the Agricultural Research Center in Hays, is reporting the first-ever study confirming that Palmer amaranth has developed resistance to the herbicide 2,4-D. Kumar’s findings have been published in the journal, Pest Management Science. The article, titled “Confirmation of 2,4‐D resistance and identification of multiple resistance in a Kansas Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) population. Read the full press release.
A Review Article on Herbicide-Resistant Kochia featured by Weed Science Society of America
"A review article on herbicide-resistant kochia in North America” compiled by weed researchers from Kansas State and Montana State University has been selected as a featured article in Weed Science journal published by the Weed Science Society of America. This article has compiled information from several published studies and articles relevant to herbicide-resistant kochia, its impact and control strategies. Want to know more on this article, please read it on the Weed Science of America website.
Multiple Herbicide Resistant Palmer Amaranth in Kansas
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Ongoing herbicide resistant Palmer Amaranth research, under the direction of Vipan Kumar, at the KSU Agricultural Research Center - Hays is featured in the recent article on the Progressive Farmer website.
Auxinic-Resistant Kochia found in Kansas
Thursday, October 11, 2018
The weed science research team at Kansas State University, under the direction of Vipan Kumar, identified Kochia biotypes that have developed cross resistance to dicamba and fluroxypyr herbicides in western Kansas. These biotypes have also been found resistant to glyphosate. To learn more about this research, continue reading on the Progressive Farmer website.
My research interests fall within an area of weed biology, ecology and its management. The primary goal of my research program is to evaluate and develop integrated weed management strategies for irrigated and dry land cropping systems in western Kansas. In recent years, the widespread evolution of herbicide-resistant (HR) weeds (mainly kochia, Palmer amaranth, and horseweed) has threatened the profitability and long-term sustainability of no-till dry land crop production in this region. To achieve the overall goal, my program relies on basic and applied weed science research. Some specific research priorities are listed below:
- Monitoring the occurrence, spread and characterization of new cases of herbicide-resistant weeds in Kansas cropping systems. This is an important aspect of my research program
- Environmental and management factors on germination, emergence and growth behavior of Palmer amaranth, kochia and horseweed populations in U.S. Central Great Plains
- Evaluate new and existing herbicide chemistries for use in rotation or tank-mixtures for crop safety and control of herbicide-resistant and susceptible weeds in wheat, corn, soybean, sorghum, sunflower, and fallow fields
- Evaluate newly developed/commercialized herbicide-resistant crop technologies (such as Roundup Ready 2 Xtend® soybeans, CoAXium™ Wheat Production, Inzen™ sorghum) for weed control
- Off-target injury risk assessment from newly developed herbicide-resistant crops through simulation drift studies
- Integration of chemical, mechanical (tillage) and cultural practices (crop rotation, seeding rates, row spacing, cover crops) for sustainable weed management in no till dry land production systems of western Kansas
Weed biology and management
Elena Sanchez Memorial Outstanding Ph.D. Graduate Student Award, Western Society of Weed Science, 2014.
- Weed Science Society of America
- Western Society of Weed Science
- North Central Weed Science Society
- American Society of Agronomy
- Associate Editor for Agronomy Journal, American Society of Agronomy
- Reviewer for Weed Science, Weed Technology, Crop Protection, Pest Management Science, PLoS ONE, Agronomy Journal, Canadian Journal of Plant Science, Journal of Environmental Management, Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Management, International Journal of Pest Management, and Science of the Total Environment
- Kumar V., P. Jha, M. Jugulam, R. Yadav, P.W. Stahlman. 2018. Herbicide-Resistant Kochia (Bassia scoparia) in North America: A Review. Weed Science. doi: 10.1017/wsc.2018.72
- Kumar V., P. Jha, C. A. Lim, P.W. Stahlman. 2018. Differential Germination Characteristics of Dicamba-Resistant Kochia (Bassia scoparia) Populations in Response to Temperature. Weed Science. 66:721–728
- Kumar V., P. Jha. 2017. First Report of Ser653Asn Mutation Endowing High-level Resistance to Imazamox in Downy brome (Bromus tectorum L.). Pest Management Science. 73 (12): 2585–2591
- Kumar V., J. Felix, D. Morishita, P. Jha. 2017. Confirmation of Glyphosate-Resistant Kochia (Kochia scoparia L.) from Sugar Beet Fields in Idaho and Oregon. Weed Technology. 32: 27–33
- Kumar V., P. Jha, J. A. Dille, P. W. Stahlman. 2017. Emergence Dynamics of Kochia (Kochia scoparia) Populations from the US Great Plains: A Multi-Site-Year Study. Weed Science. 66: 25–35
- Kumar V., P. Jha., J. F. Spring, D. J. Lyon, I. C. Burke. 2017. Glyphosate-Resistant Russian thistle (Salsola tragus L.) Identified in Montana and Washington. Weed Technology. 31: 238–251
- Jha P., V. Kumar. 2017. Fall-Applied Soil-Residual Herbicides for Crop Safety and Weed Control in Pulse Crops. Agronomy Journal. 109(6): 2828–2838
- Kumar V., P. Jha. 2016. Differences in Germination, Growth, and Fecundity Characteristics of Dicamba-Fluroxypyr-Resistant and -Susceptible Kochia scoparia. PLoS One. 11(8): e0161533
- Gaines T. A., A. L. Barker, E. L. Patterson, P. Westra, E. P. Westra, R. G. Wilson, P. Jha, V. Kumar, A. R. Kniss. 2016. EPSPS Gene Copy Number and Whole-Plant Glyphosate Resistance Level in Kochia scoparia. PLoS One. 11(12): e0168295